Monday, January 29, 2007

In Sickness and in Healf

Tuesday night Miette got hit with the stomach flu. We didn't know what it was at first, but it soon became apparent. Miette first got sick around 11 or 11:30. We rushed in, changed her sheets, changed her, and then set her back to sleep. 10 minutes later, more puke, another sheet change, and another bed change with the same results. I then decided that I would stay with her in the guest bed while she slept on a towel. We went through the entire linen closet that night. She puked about every 30 minutes until 2AM, then a few times after 4:30 AM. After the first few, it was all bile, but she still was very upset by what was happening, and it was breaking my heart to watch her get sick. The silver lining was when she woke up at some point (I woke up every time she moved) and she said, "Daddy I missed you!" and snuggled up next to me.
I trooped into work Wednesday, albeit an hour late. Kiki stayed home with her. I stayed home Thursday.
Thursday around noon, it hit me as well. Hard. Like shissing on the toilet holding the wastebasket on my lap bad. I stayed in bed (and bathroom) for almost 24 hours. I also logged some heavy napping Friday and Saturday. Sunday I finally started to feel normal. It SUCKED to have to bow out of shows, but I would have been useless. Thinking back on it, I think I've gotten the flu every year since getting the flu shot...
Wierder still, it was exactly one year ago that I spent a weekend at my inlaws sick with a stomach flu (see: A New way to turn on the Clapper from January '06).
Dr. Mehmet Oz, a frequent Esquire contributor and author or "You: the Owner's Manual" says that healthy men under 50 shouldn't get flu shots. I'm thinking about trying my luck next year. What do you think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindberg said...

I never get them. I'm as healthy as an animal of some type.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get a flu that makes me puke about once every ten years. Unless it was when I was a kid and didn't realize it, I've never had a flu shot. -Rance

11:55 AM  
Blogger matt said...

never had a flu shot, haven't had the flu since high school. avoid the flu shot.

kids are amazing... a post about puking and miette made it cute. glad you're both feeling better.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »