It's been said!
So last night I got a robocall from my representative. Judy Biggert. I decided to opt in because I was on the other line with equifax. It was quite and interesting microcosm of the American political mien. The purpose was clearly to gauge how her constituents felt about the stimulus package. The outcome at the end of the call was 55 percent opposed, 45 percent for, though that was just a sampling of the people that answered a robocall and sat and listened to the conference call.
Throughout the 45 minute call, she took questions from the callers. Most were outraged at the state of the economy, and what was (not) being done to fix it. There were 2 calls from real people losing their homes, and others angered that the govt would give 700 billion to banks that fucked us and fucked themselves, but there was plenty of righty rhetoric about developing a "General Petraeus" battle plan to stem the democrat tide in the us. They were done answering calls before I knew it, but they transferred anybody who held the line into a voice mail box.
I said that while I didn't agree with the whole stimulus package, I was willing to let the new administration try anything at this point. I said that I knew she liked her job, as she mentioned at the close of the call, but then I asked what she'd done over the last 8 years to ease this crisis or help prevent its happening. Then I asked about a separate water issue we have in Lisle, but I don't expect her to do anything about it.
There's a prevailing feeling among republicans that we need to get more money in the hands of the taxpayers. I feel like that makes sense, but it sure as hell didn't work in May. I spent my stimulus check on bills. I think it's time we try something different, but it's the republicans' tax credits on home purchases and car purchases I think are the best ideas.
America has to end its binary blindness. The answer is not a republican strategy or democrat strategy. The answer is always somewhere in between.
Throughout the 45 minute call, she took questions from the callers. Most were outraged at the state of the economy, and what was (not) being done to fix it. There were 2 calls from real people losing their homes, and others angered that the govt would give 700 billion to banks that fucked us and fucked themselves, but there was plenty of righty rhetoric about developing a "General Petraeus" battle plan to stem the democrat tide in the us. They were done answering calls before I knew it, but they transferred anybody who held the line into a voice mail box.
I said that while I didn't agree with the whole stimulus package, I was willing to let the new administration try anything at this point. I said that I knew she liked her job, as she mentioned at the close of the call, but then I asked what she'd done over the last 8 years to ease this crisis or help prevent its happening. Then I asked about a separate water issue we have in Lisle, but I don't expect her to do anything about it.
There's a prevailing feeling among republicans that we need to get more money in the hands of the taxpayers. I feel like that makes sense, but it sure as hell didn't work in May. I spent my stimulus check on bills. I think it's time we try something different, but it's the republicans' tax credits on home purchases and car purchases I think are the best ideas.
America has to end its binary blindness. The answer is not a republican strategy or democrat strategy. The answer is always somewhere in between.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home