Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Improv: Nothing to Laugh about

That was the actual column header for the second half of the Chicago Tribune Article panning the IO 25th anniversary show. I was in attendance at the show, and this article is closest to the mark with regard to the mein in the theater when everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. The Sun-Times also had an article, but my man Derrel Jevens highlighted some of the bits, and actually made the show sound worth it.
A memorable experience to be sure, but I could feel the audience getting fed up. Especially when they had to re-do some of the bits like the Jack Halpern Birthday celebration. Also, they had pairs of great perfomers like Dratch and Pohler do these scripted bits, but then made them re-run them a second time, and the layperson in the audience was like, "This isn't improvised; maybe none of it is".
The highlight of the evening was a bitter Kevin Fleming pulling the raffle winner:
"And the winner is.. IMPROV! ...Not here? Okay. Let's draw another one."

I busted out the paper when I introed Charna for Dan Bakkedahl's roast last night. I made sure to point out the "Improv: Nothing To Laugh About" headline to the audience.

It was a roast, people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »