Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The last few days...

Saturday, as referenced in "Improv: Nothing to Laugh About", we went to the IO 25th anniversary. Our first babysitter-assisted date since the baby was born on May 18th. My wife got bombed and got to meet Mike Myers. I was Charmed by John Lutz all night. We got home around 2 and she hit the couch sleeping upright. I had to tend to the baby, so I got something like 3 hours of sleep that night.
Sunday was domestic. Had a nice visit from my Parents. ...they seem to stop by more often now that the baby's here. She reacts to us now, and that's so profound. My dad was playing with her and he started crying when she reacted to him. It was nice because I had earlier in the morning when she lit up when I sang to her.
Monday I hosted a roast for a good friend (Dan Bakkedahl) who was just hired to the Daily Show. It was a good night, and I didn't ger home 'til 1:30 and got up with the baby again, so I only got like 4 hours sleep. The direct highlight for me was showing the "Improv: Nothing to Laugh About" Article to the audience as part of the introduction to the theater's owner. The indirect highlight? I said goodbye to a gruff old improviser that I know (Miles for those of you who know him) in the parking lot folllowing, and he hugged me. What a surprise...
Yesterday we had CSz Idol where a few of us that aren't strong singers had to basically perform karaoke in front of the rest of the group. We had to memorize the lyrics, and I had a tough time because mine was Def Leppard's "pour some sugar on me". With lyrics like "Mirror Queen, mannequin, Rhythm of Love/Sweet Dream Saccarine, Loosen Up" I had a tough time nailing them. See Kiss' 'I love it loud' for more nonsensical lyrics. Following that, it was to the Union for drinks and some old skool kickin' it. Then I played the Lottery at IO for Bakkedahl's last improv show in Chicago. We reminisced about our first team, Rockstar of Siam,

and other old times. It was great. I also got to see a lot of people from my current team and the team I used to coach, so it almost makes it worth it that as soon as I hit the sheets at 1, the baby got up at 1:20 and 1:45 til I held her to try and get her back to sleep. Then, my bastard dog decided to bark to go out, and then stayed out to eat grass...
So there I was on my front stoop in my underwear holding a baby and a flashlight. I quietly yelled to him to get his ass inside. That, of course, woke the baby. So, I slept upright holding her last night. I had a small victory this morning when my wife admitted that the baby might be collicky... she just doesn't sleep.
Today is bagel day where I work on account of it being pay day. The bagels on paydays was cited in Chicago Magazine when it named us one of the best places to work in Chicago. Unfortunately, we've gone from a great variety of tasty bagels to a new vendor that doesn't even cut them in half. The worst thing about them is that they have no distinct flavor... It might be rye or wheat or flavorless cinnamon... some have poppy seeds or sesame seeds on them, but there are no blueberry or raisin, or any real flavors at all. These all taste like variations on sawdust. I truly wonder how much money the save over the decent bagels (that included an amazing chocolate chip and an even better jalapeno and cheddar). I imagine they lose it anyway since their employees have to spend their time cutting the bagels in half with plastic knives.

This is my dog, Rerun. Can you tell I just learned to insert pictures to this thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »