Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sweating the fat drop...

I apparently created a stink inadvertently on Yelp when I reviewed Baby Wants Candy. People called me a shill in the forums and said that I started a bunch of fake user ids to leave them reviews. It got ugly, but the more sensible Yelpers came to my aid. It sucked. I actually felt really hurt by the accusations.
What I wanted to share with you, though, is my contribution regarding a Yelper asking if he should take his 11-year-old nephew to WWE Raw:
02/16/2007 Alfonso B. says:I have an 11 year old nephew who wants me to take him to the next WWE Raw. He is a very good kid and usually is granted what he wants by his uncles. However, I don't approve of the violence that is portrayed in WWE and I would hate for any negative behavior to develop in him from seeing all of this live. His mother is also not sure what the call should be on this one... Are there any folks her on yelp with kids who can provide some input??? Thanks
My Reply:
I saw Hogan v. Nicolai Volkoff in a flag match in 1984 at The Rosemont Horizon. It is one of my favorite childhood memories. I would have been 10 or 11, and that was indeed then. This is now. The experience of a live WWE show is considerably raw-er (pun intended) than the old WWF. Mostly because of idiot fans. My brother has a saying: "I love Wrestling, but I hate Wrestling fans". I say take your nephew, but be ready to discuss some of the things you hear the fans around you yell. Probably the most unsavory will be the crowd reaction to the women wrestlers. If you can reinforce that gentlemen do not chop their crotches and yell "show your T*ts!", he won't be scarred at all. That said, I have tickets to RAW, and will be there. As much as I cringe hearing some of the things said in the crowd, nothing matches the excitement you feel at a live WWE event. I'm almost 32. I've probably been to 50 live events. I can promise you, though, that when the lights go down and the pyrotechnics start, I will have chills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »