Thursday, February 08, 2007

Random 'n' pointed

I'm tired of this fucking cold.
I hate that I love LOST so much.
I went to an estate sale this weekend that advertised Star Wars and GI Joe toys; I used to be a huget collector. I still have a huge collection, but Miette has take the place of my free time (gleefully so). Anyway, I traveled through this person's howse to spot the deals (there weren't any. They had tagged all the items at book price. Book price, for you non-collectors, means that there are guides out there that state the estimated values of old toys. The rule of thumb is that you can probably get half the "book price" at any given time. If you want to know something's realistic value, go to eBay and to a completed item search for it. But I digress...) behind a behemoth in vintage nerd glasses, a vintage blackhawks ski hat, and camo pants that were perilously close to falling off his saggy ass.
The collector. Having gome to a few toy shows in the past, this guy was easy to spot. If you've been to any manner of collectibles show, you know the sort.
It reminded me of a tale of my past. My mom took me to Lisle Drug when I was in elementary school. As I often did, I bee-lined for the comics and garbage pail kids. I'm pretty sure I was reading the graphic novel of the movie 2010, noticing that they'd replaced the movie dialogue "Holy Shit" with "holy Spit!". As my mom came to get me, a high-school aged fat kid walked in. It had been raining that day, and he apparently had ridden through the mud to get to Lisle Drug. He had a huge mud stripe of back spackle (thank you, Sniglets) on his sweatpants.
My mom turned to me and asked, "Is that what you're gonna lok like when you're that age?"
Big strike out at the estate sale, especially on a dresser, the one Item I am in search of is a dresser for my good Deanna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »