Things I've hit recently
Singha - Thai place on LaSalle and the River - Not bad. Can't touch Perry's Deli (180 N. Franklin) as my favorite lunch place downtown.
Revival - 19 E 21st St. - this is an architectural salvage place that sells featured (read: expensive) pieces. A cool place. Pricey, and an el ride to undiscovered country for me when I got off at Cermak. I got the 300-yard hustle from a guy with a well-rehearsed speil that would have culminated in a shoe shine. He even had an apprentice that he introduced as such. The politeness in me can't tell them up front that they'll never see dime one from me. It almost ended when I paid to get on the el, but he kept calling after me, asking if I was a man of my word...
about 50 yards down the platform, a tall black kid said, "You should have known he was gonna ask you for money".
I did do something at revival that I Haven't done at Salvage one, Jan's antiques, or that place on Ravenswood. I actually bought my first piece of Terra Cotta. A great finial that looks like a giant flower bud. For the uninitiated, Terra cotta covers many of Chicago's stunning buildings, and the pieces, when you can find them, are generally very expensive. This one was a steal at $38. Maybe I did get hustled...
Also, apologies if there are spelling errors herein and hereafter. The spell checker on this site is terrible.
Revival - 19 E 21st St. - this is an architectural salvage place that sells featured (read: expensive) pieces. A cool place. Pricey, and an el ride to undiscovered country for me when I got off at Cermak. I got the 300-yard hustle from a guy with a well-rehearsed speil that would have culminated in a shoe shine. He even had an apprentice that he introduced as such. The politeness in me can't tell them up front that they'll never see dime one from me. It almost ended when I paid to get on the el, but he kept calling after me, asking if I was a man of my word...
about 50 yards down the platform, a tall black kid said, "You should have known he was gonna ask you for money".
I did do something at revival that I Haven't done at Salvage one, Jan's antiques, or that place on Ravenswood. I actually bought my first piece of Terra Cotta. A great finial that looks like a giant flower bud. For the uninitiated, Terra cotta covers many of Chicago's stunning buildings, and the pieces, when you can find them, are generally very expensive. This one was a steal at $38. Maybe I did get hustled...
Also, apologies if there are spelling errors herein and hereafter. The spell checker on this site is terrible.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home