Ups and Downs
I have the greatest Bank in the world. USAA. It's only open to Army officers, and I'm grandfathered in because my dad was an army captain. They do not charge ATM or transaction fees; in fact, they refund the fees at the end of the month, and give you something like 1% back on all debit card purhases. The downside is that they have no ATMs anywhere. They do refund you any fees chaged by an ATM, but you have to mail all deposits. Thus begins my lunchtime adventure.
I got a measly $50 check from Baby Wants Candy for the shows I did last month. They bank with Northern Trust bank. I went to the loop location. Picture any business set from Trading Places. I didn't NEED to cash the check, I could have mailed it to USAA, but there weren't any scheduled new arrivals at Nordstrom Rack today, so I went. I waited in line, and the teller, upon inspection of the "to" line where the guy who had written the check wrote "Zach 'too good for my wedding' Thompson" (Since I didn't go to his wedding), sent me to "Courtesy Check cashing" in the basement.
I honestly believe that this was her way of punishing me to illustrate the point that a check is no place for horseplay.
I waited 30 minutes in a line of 5 people. A wonderful mix of the homeless and other people they don't want fouling up the marble-and-wood-paneling views in the main lobby. Of course, as with all bank lines, several of the people got unruly and made some very disparaging remarks about the only teller available, and elderly woman who moved as if she was trying not to disturb cobwebs on her desk. It was one of those situations where people are being obnoxious, and they look into your eyes for agreement, and want you to play along, but you have a shred of manners, so you pretend you're getting earth-shattering news on your blackberry. It's a tough situation, because I don't want to be tainted by the mannerless, and at the same time, I'm annoyed at the teller, and Northern Trust for calling this "Courtesy" check cashing.
Banking as an institution is broken. Once the greatest generation is gone, the physical banks will go with them. The nerve any bank has for charging you for doing your banking online is apalling because you're saving them money.
Don't even get me started on Healthcare and public education.
Well, I experienced something different today, which is more than most people can say...though if I had to do it over again, I'd have gone to Nordstrom Rack.
I got a measly $50 check from Baby Wants Candy for the shows I did last month. They bank with Northern Trust bank. I went to the loop location. Picture any business set from Trading Places. I didn't NEED to cash the check, I could have mailed it to USAA, but there weren't any scheduled new arrivals at Nordstrom Rack today, so I went. I waited in line, and the teller, upon inspection of the "to" line where the guy who had written the check wrote "Zach 'too good for my wedding' Thompson" (Since I didn't go to his wedding), sent me to "Courtesy Check cashing" in the basement.
I honestly believe that this was her way of punishing me to illustrate the point that a check is no place for horseplay.
I waited 30 minutes in a line of 5 people. A wonderful mix of the homeless and other people they don't want fouling up the marble-and-wood-paneling views in the main lobby. Of course, as with all bank lines, several of the people got unruly and made some very disparaging remarks about the only teller available, and elderly woman who moved as if she was trying not to disturb cobwebs on her desk. It was one of those situations where people are being obnoxious, and they look into your eyes for agreement, and want you to play along, but you have a shred of manners, so you pretend you're getting earth-shattering news on your blackberry. It's a tough situation, because I don't want to be tainted by the mannerless, and at the same time, I'm annoyed at the teller, and Northern Trust for calling this "Courtesy" check cashing.
Banking as an institution is broken. Once the greatest generation is gone, the physical banks will go with them. The nerve any bank has for charging you for doing your banking online is apalling because you're saving them money.
Don't even get me started on Healthcare and public education.
Well, I experienced something different today, which is more than most people can say...though if I had to do it over again, I'd have gone to Nordstrom Rack.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home