Friday, May 23, 2008

Dupe Fiasco

So, I really enjoyed Lupe Fiasco's first release, and Revenge of the Nerds II. Also, I tremendously enjoyed Gnarls Barkley's release from a couple summers ago. I didn't want to miss the bandwagon this time so I bough both new albums after I saw some very positive reviews.
Both Suck. Bad.
Lupe's second is a microcosm of what happened to Kanye West. It took him one album to become what it took Kanye 3 to: A simpering "victim" of success. It's as if once the billion-dollar spotlight shines on these guys, they figure it all out and spend more time preaching about how much they know about the state of the world than anything else. At least Kanye's third (Graduation) has an enjoyable track or 2 (far less than his previous 2 albums). Lupe's is a uniformly dull statement about how awesome it is to be a star and how dumb it is to be a gangster.
Gnarls Barkley's second sounds like B-sides to their first. Nothing beyond that. I could make one great album out of the 2. Worse? I paid for both. Makes me wonder why I do.
Ross turned me on to Hype Machine (hypem.com). It's an excellent vehicle for finding great rare stuff to download. But by the time I'd heard of "Smell yo' D!ck", the free downloads had all dried up. What a hilarious song, though.
Converse to most of this, I want to go on Record and say that MF Doom's "Kookies" is the finest song written about internet p0rn, and specifically the clandestine enjoyment of said material while your other is sleeping. The hook is the old Sesame Street credit theme with a vicious beat. Go find it on Hypem.

2 Comments:

Blogger paige said...

Sometimes you need to expose yourself to unsavory elements to have a greater appreciation for your own life. Thanks for your compliment, although I don't think I have any 'writing' exactly, I sure am honored you would say any words I string together are interesting to read.
By the way, does my gamertag Junglewoods sound naughty?

10:18 AM  
Blogger paige said...

Sometimes you need to leave a comment on the right post, or what you say could have entirely different ramifications. Holy poop. I mean to put that last comment on "Pairs well with Erectile Dysfunction"
but reading it with the post I put it with sure makes me seem like something I am not. Context. Always context.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »