Friday, August 19, 2005

Fighting a cold

I miss my wife and baby. They've been at my In-Laws since Tuesday. Probably a good time for them to be away from me, though, as I've felt like ass for the last two days. I'm getting a clone of a headcold that I had around Independence Day. I'm sure it's the unclean improvisers I cavort with. Maybe it's the public transit I use. I woke up feeling father well this morning and it's slipping a little, but I'm hoping this means I'm almost over it. Last time I got the baby sick, and I don't know if there's a worse feeling in the world.
I saw some standup on one of them "Comedy Central Presents: A Punny Named Standup Special" things that said that having kids sucks. I admit that it's not all roses. When she's screaming herself hoarse for no discernable reason, for example. But every time she smiles or coos at me, it makes it all worth it.
If I could step back to standup for a sec; see David Cross' "Shut up you Fucking Baby" for the right way to name a standup special. Also, see all the track titles.

All right, I've been sitting on this for a while, and I can't find a way to Dovetail (BANG!) these topics together, but I'd like to take a moment to address the press on the "Tested on real curves" ad campaign by Dove (campaignforrealbeauty.com). I read a column Richard Roeper (sp? I don't care) wrote in the Sun-Times. Apparently, he'd written something about how he'd rather see stick-thin models than these "Full-Figured" gals, and there were letters upon letters written in response to this. What makes these realistically-built women full-figured I'll never understand. To all the morons repulsed by the women on these ads, I'd love to follow them home and see the people in their lives that they compare to the women in these ads. Roeper too. If he's dating someone better looking than these women, odds are she's a moron who's only with him because he's a local quasi-celebrity who'll only be known as the other guy who's not Siskel.
Whether or not you find the women in the ad attractive is your prerogative, and that's my point. I just hope the tipping point arrives soon that pushes us away from Mary Kate and Paris and to healthier-looking women. There was an article not long ago looking forward to this, and stating that the new body ideal is what the author had nicknamed "Oven Stuffers" after the plump turkeys you can buy. His point was that women like Britney Spears and that pitcher for the US Womens Softball team whose name escapes me are the new ideal. Ideal? I don't think there is one. I know what I like and I hope you know what you like without someone telling you. My hope is that we're closer to the sewer of American Pop Culture accepting bodies "Built to Sway" (thanks, LLCoolJ!) . The reason I think that is that no one should feel guitly about how they look if they feel healthy and happy. But Just so we're clear, I'm with Russ Meyer: "Lips, Hips, Tits, POWER!". Choke on that, Roeper!

1 Comments:

Blogger tara d. said...

as someone who looks nearly identical to these ladies when scantilly-clad, roeper can eat it. i don't care what you call me, as longgg as youuuuu calllll meeeeee.


jokes.

but seriously, roeper, f*ck off.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »