Friday, March 03, 2006

Private to Hixx

MH,
thanks for your comment/recommendation:
Hixx said...
Thomps, I read your blog. Cause I love cheeseburgers.I thought of you when I heard that this place was rated No.19 in the country for burgers. Never been there, checking it out though, will let you know how it goes.Poag Mahone's333 S. Wells St.Hixx

I tried Poag Mahone's in December. The following is my review from 12/30/05:
I recently hit Poag Mahone's in the 175 Jackson building. This is the only burger in Chicago that made GQ's top 25 in their July issue, and has been acclaimed by the Trib and a few other local news outlets. In a word, I was UNDERWHELMED. The most disappointing thing (save for not being able to accompany it with a beer...) was the bun. It was so toasted that it was sharp and crumbly. I wouldn't go back for it, but I may go back for the mini-burgers. They're supposed to be good as well.

Here's what GQ said:
Hamburger, Poag Mahone's Carvery and Ale HouseChicago, IL
The television, tuned to a Cubs game, was so loud I had to scream my order several times, and all I was trying to say was “hamburger.” I know everybody in Chicago is depressed because the Cubs never win. I never realized they were also deaf. I’d be disheartened, too, if I had to eat burgers in Chicago—Poag Mahone’s was the only place I found that did burgers right. Good bakery buns, soft and sweet. Tasty ground sirloin given a nice char on an indoor grill. Even a “Burger Eater’s Bill of Rights.” Poag Mahone’s lived up to most of its promises, although the pickle spear, guaranteed “crisp and cold,” was a tad warm.

I may have to give Poag Mahone's another shot. Shit, I let Boston Blackie's fail 3 times, so, why not? Thanks, Hixx. You're an enabler.
It will have to wait 'til next week, though. Today is Perry's!
P.S. Chicagoans, this weekend I make my full-time return to the stage. You can see me:

Saturday, March 4:
8 PM - I appear with Baby Wants Candy in an IMPROVISED MUSICAL at IO 3541 N. Clark (at Addison)
10:30 PM - ComedySportz March Madness Tournament begins! I play with my team, the Billikens. Your votes determine who moves on in the tournament! @ ComedySportz theater 2851 N. Halsted St. 773.549.8080 for tickets. BYOB!
MIDNIGHT - The Hot Karl - dirty, dirty improv six years running! @ ComedySportz theater 2851 N. Halsted St. 773.549.8080 for tickets. BYOB!
Kick back with a Shamrock Shake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hixx said...

Hilarious.

I'll give it a shot too and let you know what I think.

Also, you've been to Hackney's no? They're not as good as they used to be, but still yummy.

AND, we had the Mystic Celt burger last night, which I believe is one of the great burgers. Good buns, good meat.

Just like you Thomps.

Hixx

9:05 AM  
Blogger Zach said...

Indeed. Good Buns, Good meat. Theirs is good, best with a pile of those cheesy potato logs or whatever. Just like you.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »