Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Taking it back.

I was reading the esquire Viggo Mortenson interview, and in it he hands the interviewer an American Flag lapel pin. His message is taking America back from the Zealots.
I read that weeks ago and it must have resonated with me, because I can't stop thinking about it. I've been trying to find a symbol for me to rally around. One that's not the current flag because of its current connotation... or worse yet, a flag with an eagle flying over it flanked by f-16s while Jesus cries in the foreground while shaking hands with Lincoln and Christopher Reeve.

Some of this comes from my marking out over everything Ben Sherman. For the uninitiated, Ben Sherman is a British men's clothing designer that I've been accused of sleeping with because of the amount of his stuff I own. Anyway, lots of his designs incorporate the Union Jack, the british flag. I got to thinking if a US clothing designer used the US flag as much a s Ben Sherman uses the Union Jack, nobody would buy his stuff. The reason: We're all afraid of looking like this guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American ('cause at least I know I'm free). I love it here. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm starting to feel about average Americans the way I do about wrestling fans. "I love Wrestling but I hate Wrestling Fans" (Go to one live event and you'll know why). Much of what the national mein has become is making me feel the same way about Americans. Whatever happened to critical thinking?

Anyway, I'm trying to find a symbol used by Americans who would be up in arms if they were alive today. The kind of Americans that knew no culture of fear. The kind that rioted and burned effigies when they were unfairly taxed or their rights were infringed upon. I want to be fiercely nationalistic, but I want to be nationalistic for what America stands for, not what we are standing for. I keep coming up with the Don't Tread on Me flag used by the Culpepper Minute men. That one warning England to back the fuck up. I guess I'd be using it to say not to infringe upon my inalienable rights. I also like the idea of the eagle and shield. Like an old timey one (think Daniel Day Lewis' glass eye in "Gangs of New York").

Crap. I don't know. I know that I have a message and no symbol. I don't want to wear a lapel flag pin, because of its connotation: that I love the president.

I'm rambling here. I just wish there was a way to take America back from the idiots, and let them all make up their own minds. However, the right to be an idiot is inalienable as well.
God Bless The USA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »