Even in Lisle
Even in Lisle.
Saturday morning at about 7:30 AM, we'd just finished eating breakfast and were getting the baby dressed. Suddenly there was pounding at the front door. At first I thought it was my dad or brother screwing around, but before I reached the bottom of the stairs, I realized that whoever it was was pounding too hard for it to be a joke. I got in front of the door (it has a top half that is glass) to see a piece of white trash wearing a torn piece of green fabric as a headband with his back to the door attempting to kick it in and slamming his fists into the glass in an attempt to break in.
My balls crept up inside me.
I told Kiki to stay in the baby's room and called 911. This is the conversation:Me: "Hello I'm at 610 Jonquil and someone's trying to break down my front door"
Operator: "The guy with the headband, right? We've gotten a ton of calls about him. Please stay on the phone with me; we have officers on the way, and we'll need help locating him."
[At that point, the guy quit kicking the door and took off west across my yard. Just then there were squad cars]
O: Do you see squad cars?
M: Yes, but the guy just took off across my yard to the west.
O: We've got him. Thanks.
But they didn't HAVE him. Moments later, there were cops creeping along my bushes with guns drawn. Then crouching behind my neighbor's car and tree.
Minutes passed. I went up to the baby's room and briefed Kiki. We opened the window so we could hear the cops. We could now only see one who tore off in his car, and then returned, blocking our driveway. He took a shotgun out of the trunk, and then moved out of our field of vision. He promptly came back, and got a tear gas gun and again disappeared in the direction of our neighbor's house. We were worried because the neighbors are a retirement-age couple, and the husband was in Florida working on a house they'd bought.
I was also worried because I'd left the shed unlocked, and thought this guy might have been hiding in there. I kept going to a window that looked out on the shed to see if I could see anything disturbed.
10 minutes later a K-9 unit arrived. The cop we'd been watching and the Darien dog handler went into the house. Moments later 8 cops came out of the house carrying this guy like the trash he is. They stood on him while a female officer got the leg ties. Then an ambulance arrived. They loaded this guy on it. I was worried that they weren't going in the house for Trudy, the neighbor, and I was half expecting a coroner van to roll up and go in. Fortunately, she was already out of the house and standing down the street where we couldn't see her.
Then the neighbor to the other side called and apologized to us. She hated that this was our first impression of the neighborhood.
I went outside to check on Trudy. Between this and talking to the cop that filled out a report on our damaged front door (they even fingerprinted it), here's what happened:
This guy had never been a problem before. He lives in the area (the worst possible thing the cop could have said in front of my wife), parked his car a few streets away, and started rampaging. He hit at least the six houses next to ours to the east, working his way down the street; pounding on doors, ripping of downspouts, and breaking stuff. He finally broke a window in Trudy's house and went in the ground level, ripping open drywall and pulling out plumbing and conduit.
Trudy was doing chores upstairs in her house when she heard this asswipe pounding on houses, so she called 911. She was taking the cops through the damage when she saw him get to our house. Just as she was thinking he was going to break one of her downstairs windows and get in her house, he did. She told the cops he was in her house, and they were like "Calm down, ma'am, there are officers in the area. You're being hysterical." She was like, "Look, he broke a window and got in my house. He's downstairs COME AND GET ME OUT!"
What the fuck took them so long to get this piece of excrement out I'll never know. Literally 8 cops carried him out.
The cop who took our statement said that while the police knew of this guy, he'd never done anything like this before, and then he implied that this guy was on drugs. The cop even corrected me by saying Caucasian when I said "Can I say White Trash?" when asked to describe the guy. I did get a laugh, though, when I described the guy's skin as being red like most alcoholics.
The cop and I then talked and I found out he'd been a year behind me in school, though he went to the Catholic High school. We talked familiar names, and he left.
We then heard from Trudy that the cops told her that the guy had some kind of blood sugar episode, so they couldn't charge him with anything. Now, I have 2 diabetic siblings, and I know that blood sugar swings do not make you tie on a green headband and go wilding. I'm thinking meth or a legitimate psychological episode. Neither or which are qualities I look for in a neighbor.
A couple of things in hindsight:
1) I kept my wits, and handled things well, but in that moment of panic, all I could think of was that I'm gonna have to fight this asshole in my underwear. I keep a baseball bat in the house, but since we had just moved, it was in the garage, and I wasn't about to take myself out from in between him and my wife and daughter. I later lamented not having the bat closer to me, and Kiki literally said, "what, so he could take it away and use it on you?". I guess I'll never own a gun.
2) That this happened sucked, but since it happened, it really couldn't have gone better. If it had been 3 AM instead of 7:30 AM and in broad daylight, it would have been significantly more terrifying. It would have also been worse had we been sitting at the table eating breakfast. My wife would have made me sell the house. Plus, no one really got hurt, and there's no better way to meet your neighbors that in the cul-de-sac giving a statement to the police.
Saturday morning at about 7:30 AM, we'd just finished eating breakfast and were getting the baby dressed. Suddenly there was pounding at the front door. At first I thought it was my dad or brother screwing around, but before I reached the bottom of the stairs, I realized that whoever it was was pounding too hard for it to be a joke. I got in front of the door (it has a top half that is glass) to see a piece of white trash wearing a torn piece of green fabric as a headband with his back to the door attempting to kick it in and slamming his fists into the glass in an attempt to break in.
My balls crept up inside me.
I told Kiki to stay in the baby's room and called 911. This is the conversation:Me: "Hello I'm at 610 Jonquil and someone's trying to break down my front door"
Operator: "The guy with the headband, right? We've gotten a ton of calls about him. Please stay on the phone with me; we have officers on the way, and we'll need help locating him."
[At that point, the guy quit kicking the door and took off west across my yard. Just then there were squad cars]
O: Do you see squad cars?
M: Yes, but the guy just took off across my yard to the west.
O: We've got him. Thanks.
But they didn't HAVE him. Moments later, there were cops creeping along my bushes with guns drawn. Then crouching behind my neighbor's car and tree.
Minutes passed. I went up to the baby's room and briefed Kiki. We opened the window so we could hear the cops. We could now only see one who tore off in his car, and then returned, blocking our driveway. He took a shotgun out of the trunk, and then moved out of our field of vision. He promptly came back, and got a tear gas gun and again disappeared in the direction of our neighbor's house. We were worried because the neighbors are a retirement-age couple, and the husband was in Florida working on a house they'd bought.
I was also worried because I'd left the shed unlocked, and thought this guy might have been hiding in there. I kept going to a window that looked out on the shed to see if I could see anything disturbed.
10 minutes later a K-9 unit arrived. The cop we'd been watching and the Darien dog handler went into the house. Moments later 8 cops came out of the house carrying this guy like the trash he is. They stood on him while a female officer got the leg ties. Then an ambulance arrived. They loaded this guy on it. I was worried that they weren't going in the house for Trudy, the neighbor, and I was half expecting a coroner van to roll up and go in. Fortunately, she was already out of the house and standing down the street where we couldn't see her.
Then the neighbor to the other side called and apologized to us. She hated that this was our first impression of the neighborhood.
I went outside to check on Trudy. Between this and talking to the cop that filled out a report on our damaged front door (they even fingerprinted it), here's what happened:
This guy had never been a problem before. He lives in the area (the worst possible thing the cop could have said in front of my wife), parked his car a few streets away, and started rampaging. He hit at least the six houses next to ours to the east, working his way down the street; pounding on doors, ripping of downspouts, and breaking stuff. He finally broke a window in Trudy's house and went in the ground level, ripping open drywall and pulling out plumbing and conduit.
Trudy was doing chores upstairs in her house when she heard this asswipe pounding on houses, so she called 911. She was taking the cops through the damage when she saw him get to our house. Just as she was thinking he was going to break one of her downstairs windows and get in her house, he did. She told the cops he was in her house, and they were like "Calm down, ma'am, there are officers in the area. You're being hysterical." She was like, "Look, he broke a window and got in my house. He's downstairs COME AND GET ME OUT!"
What the fuck took them so long to get this piece of excrement out I'll never know. Literally 8 cops carried him out.
The cop who took our statement said that while the police knew of this guy, he'd never done anything like this before, and then he implied that this guy was on drugs. The cop even corrected me by saying Caucasian when I said "Can I say White Trash?" when asked to describe the guy. I did get a laugh, though, when I described the guy's skin as being red like most alcoholics.
The cop and I then talked and I found out he'd been a year behind me in school, though he went to the Catholic High school. We talked familiar names, and he left.
We then heard from Trudy that the cops told her that the guy had some kind of blood sugar episode, so they couldn't charge him with anything. Now, I have 2 diabetic siblings, and I know that blood sugar swings do not make you tie on a green headband and go wilding. I'm thinking meth or a legitimate psychological episode. Neither or which are qualities I look for in a neighbor.
A couple of things in hindsight:
1) I kept my wits, and handled things well, but in that moment of panic, all I could think of was that I'm gonna have to fight this asshole in my underwear. I keep a baseball bat in the house, but since we had just moved, it was in the garage, and I wasn't about to take myself out from in between him and my wife and daughter. I later lamented not having the bat closer to me, and Kiki literally said, "what, so he could take it away and use it on you?". I guess I'll never own a gun.
2) That this happened sucked, but since it happened, it really couldn't have gone better. If it had been 3 AM instead of 7:30 AM and in broad daylight, it would have been significantly more terrifying. It would have also been worse had we been sitting at the table eating breakfast. My wife would have made me sell the house. Plus, no one really got hurt, and there's no better way to meet your neighbors that in the cul-de-sac giving a statement to the police.

1 Comments:
Holy crap that story is terrifying... and congrats on your new place, welcome to the neighborhood! Most neighborhoods give you a envelope with some coupons.
Have you considered wrapping your ball bat in barbed wire? I don't see how someone'd be able to take that from you.
Post a Comment
<< Home