Friday, March 23, 2007

At the corner of Dearborn and Lake

I just watched a guy on a scooter plow into the back of a street sweeper. It was loud and stunning. He seemed to notice the street sweeper too late, and kind of tried to lay his scooter down. The impact was the front of the scooter to the hood that covers the rear brush. It was almost like the guy in the sweeper didn't notice, because he started moving the sweeper, and then the guy (a thirtysomething beefy italian looking fellow in a black sweatshirt, black warmup pants, black backward baseball hat (no helmet) and requisite black goatee started yelling for the sweeper to stop.
A concerned bystander ran to the front of the sweeper and flagged the driver out. At the same time, the scooterer stood up on a hurt leg and limped to the curb, leaning on a garbage can. The driver dismounted his sweeper and yelled, "what the hell are you doing?"
"What the Hell are you doing?!" This is the state of humanity, I guess.
There was a cop car on the opposite corner, and the scooter guy wasn't bleeding, so I went to work. There was nothing I could do, so instead of becoming that which I hate (a gawker) I moved on.
My sister and father both ride motorcycles. Not scooters. Never without a helmet, but this is some reminder of what can happen due to peoples' mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

« chicago blogs »