Briticisms

Great Britain was pretty, well, great.
I have 3 observations I'd like to share. I have mentioned that it was expensive as hell. It's roughly 2 dollars per pound, BUT everything costs the same NUMBER of currency. For example, a pint here costs $4. In London it costs 4 pounds ($8). My mastercard is aching...
Secondly, so many end-of-the world films have come out of the UK in recent months. 28 Days later springs to mind. I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that NO ONE seems to cover their mouths when they cough. It's almost comical. Like the "compu'er says no" lady on Little Britain. I have no idea how I stayed healthy when 2 of my American colleagues had to go to the doctor in London. If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with taking 2 airborne a day, drinking at least 5 beers a night, and eating the recommended amount of daily calories per meal.
Finally, and most importantly, the British girls know how to work it. We were (obviously) in the business district. Every woman was wearing a skirt, patterned stockings, and heels. We made a game out of counting the UGGs since that's all you see in the windy city. We counted 4 pairs in 10 days. It was 50 degrees there, but still.
I held my own on understanding British slang. My favorite term: rumpy-pumpy (used interchangeably with hanky-panky or mucking about).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home