USA! USA! USA!
I went to Google today hoping that I had thought up the word hopemonger to supplant the rest of the -mongers from the previous 8 years.
No such luck. (I still think I missed out by not printing OBAMANIA: Runnin' Wild in Hulkamania font...)
I am proud to be an American today. I usually am, but a nearly 2-to-1 margin of electoral college votes makes me even prouder.
Not that I had a particular distaste for McCain. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think that the reason this election was so huge was that for the first time since [frater] Regan (yeah, I said it), we were not presented with a choice of the lesser of 2 evils. We were finally asked to choose between 2 worthy presidential candidates.
I watched 2 politicians speak last night and for the first time felt neither pity or anger for either of them. That's another first. McCain's speech was amazing. Representative of the man that was not pandering for the far Right's vote. Obama's was as always, electrifying. I hope both these men hold each other accountable for what the other has said. I hope this euphoria translates into the death of the apathy that has put us where we are now. What's more, I hope it ends the crippling binary blindness we suffer in this country. What do I mean by binary blindness? Well, to 99% of Americans, you are either a Socialist babykiller or a pagefucking warmonger. The answer is not either democrat or republican. The answer is American (as is the problem). I hope that Obama does indeed lead us to be the United States of America once again. I am neither democrat nor republican. I am American.
I am an American who teared up at both speeches last night. I am an American who teared up at the newspaper photos this morning. I teared up at the photos of parents taking their kids to the voting booth, and at my friend Dave Levin's facebook post that he made his daughters stay awake last night to remember what happened, though they are too young to understand why. ( I was EXCITED to tell Miette that "Baracko" won this morning.) I tear up now at the fact that people cared about what happened yesterday and participated. The complacency in this nation over the last several years has made me sick. Read a history book and read about people that burned effigies over policy and small injustices. Hopefully we are done shrugging in this nation.
No such luck. (I still think I missed out by not printing OBAMANIA: Runnin' Wild in Hulkamania font...)
I am proud to be an American today. I usually am, but a nearly 2-to-1 margin of electoral college votes makes me even prouder.
Not that I had a particular distaste for McCain. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think that the reason this election was so huge was that for the first time since [frater] Regan (yeah, I said it), we were not presented with a choice of the lesser of 2 evils. We were finally asked to choose between 2 worthy presidential candidates.
I watched 2 politicians speak last night and for the first time felt neither pity or anger for either of them. That's another first. McCain's speech was amazing. Representative of the man that was not pandering for the far Right's vote. Obama's was as always, electrifying. I hope both these men hold each other accountable for what the other has said. I hope this euphoria translates into the death of the apathy that has put us where we are now. What's more, I hope it ends the crippling binary blindness we suffer in this country. What do I mean by binary blindness? Well, to 99% of Americans, you are either a Socialist babykiller or a pagefucking warmonger. The answer is not either democrat or republican. The answer is American (as is the problem). I hope that Obama does indeed lead us to be the United States of America once again. I am neither democrat nor republican. I am American.
I am an American who teared up at both speeches last night. I am an American who teared up at the newspaper photos this morning. I teared up at the photos of parents taking their kids to the voting booth, and at my friend Dave Levin's facebook post that he made his daughters stay awake last night to remember what happened, though they are too young to understand why. ( I was EXCITED to tell Miette that "Baracko" won this morning.) I tear up now at the fact that people cared about what happened yesterday and participated. The complacency in this nation over the last several years has made me sick. Read a history book and read about people that burned effigies over policy and small injustices. Hopefully we are done shrugging in this nation.

1 Comments:
man i hope everybody is right about this. despite brilliant oration, anybody on a national scale that is a product of chicago politics causes me to pause.
Post a Comment
<< Home