A Lesser Man would have stayed down
In the spirit of making the difference between half ass and kick ass...
Saturday in The 10:30 CSz show, I was captain opposite my friend Katherine. As an added bit to the show, I decided it'd be funny to play up the "teensie badass" angle, so we resurrected something we'd done on stage before. In another show, Kat would hip toss me when we were supposed to handshake. We did it Saturday, and she sent me on my ass to start the show.
Later, she opened the trap door on the csz stage, and tossed me down there during a scene. It's about a three foot drop, so no biggie. I crawled out to the backstage area where she met me, and we tried to think of some other funny physical bit we could do. So, I untucked my shirt and messed up my hair, and said, "Push me though the revolving door. We held for a break in the scene, and she did.
Neither of us remembered that the trap door was open.
I executed a nestea plunge onto the stage through the revolving door, and when I hit the floor, my lower back was met with the edge of the trap door. I went down to the bottom of the trap on the top of my head, and when my legs crumpled from the impact, I cracked my knee really good on the front of the trap door frame.
It must have been a spectacularly ugly fall, because of the gasp from the audience.
I writhed in pain under the stage clutching my knee. My team checked on me, and I asked for a couple minutes, and for them to make sure the other team played the next game.
I wasn't sure if everything was working, so I drug myself put from under the stage where Ross was waiting on me. Jen Taylor showed shortly thereafter with an ice pack, followed by Lindberg who was also in the booth. once I got to my feet, the pain ebbed a bit, and I could move everything. I made Jen check to make sure I wasn't bleeding where I'd hit my head, did 10 Hindu Squats, and then I went back out.
Shit did that hurt. The next day, it smarted, but not nearly as bad as you'd think.
My Mother-in-Law likes to say I'm resilient. I tend to agree.
The Mick Foley of ComedySportz, Cactus Zach
Saturday in The 10:30 CSz show, I was captain opposite my friend Katherine. As an added bit to the show, I decided it'd be funny to play up the "teensie badass" angle, so we resurrected something we'd done on stage before. In another show, Kat would hip toss me when we were supposed to handshake. We did it Saturday, and she sent me on my ass to start the show.
Later, she opened the trap door on the csz stage, and tossed me down there during a scene. It's about a three foot drop, so no biggie. I crawled out to the backstage area where she met me, and we tried to think of some other funny physical bit we could do. So, I untucked my shirt and messed up my hair, and said, "Push me though the revolving door. We held for a break in the scene, and she did.
Neither of us remembered that the trap door was open.
I executed a nestea plunge onto the stage through the revolving door, and when I hit the floor, my lower back was met with the edge of the trap door. I went down to the bottom of the trap on the top of my head, and when my legs crumpled from the impact, I cracked my knee really good on the front of the trap door frame.
It must have been a spectacularly ugly fall, because of the gasp from the audience.
I writhed in pain under the stage clutching my knee. My team checked on me, and I asked for a couple minutes, and for them to make sure the other team played the next game.
I wasn't sure if everything was working, so I drug myself put from under the stage where Ross was waiting on me. Jen Taylor showed shortly thereafter with an ice pack, followed by Lindberg who was also in the booth. once I got to my feet, the pain ebbed a bit, and I could move everything. I made Jen check to make sure I wasn't bleeding where I'd hit my head, did 10 Hindu Squats, and then I went back out.
Shit did that hurt. The next day, it smarted, but not nearly as bad as you'd think.
My Mother-in-Law likes to say I'm resilient. I tend to agree.
The Mick Foley of ComedySportz, Cactus Zach



2 Comments:
yes! Wound yourself for your comedy!
Great story, Zach. Hope you're feeling better.
i say opposite on all this! no injuries! fake injuries, but no reals... god, that must've hurt. this is what happens when i'm away one sat night at csz... my baaaby! my sweet baaaaaaby!
nonetheless, i like your showmanship, and i am guilty of that. so, well done (kind of).
most importantly, i really like "nestea plunge". patent it! (i guess nestea already has.)
Post a Comment
<< Home