A Tip
A quick note on the previous post: the doctors say that can't see what they need to in my brother, so they'll do an aspiration of the quetsionable mass in his chest. For you laypeople, they will stick a needle in and draw out some of what they want to look at. Awesome.
And with that frame of reference...
Back to the insipidity!
Sorry no updates for a while, loyal readers (both of you), but I have allergies that made themselves into a cold. So me, my daughter, and my wife are all snotnoses. Since Miette can't blow her nose, We have to pull the snot out with a suction bulb. She LOVES that. Nothing gets her screaming faster.
The upside is that she's been "talking" a lot lately, babbling mostly, but my favorite babble that she does goes, "Da-Da-Da-Da". Won't be long now...
I'm taking a break from reading wrestling biographies, and I'm reading the Tipping Point about what makes an epidemic. Mostly it's about harnessing the power of epidemics for marketing. However, there's lots in it about trendsetting and the power of cool. It's pretty interesting stuff. The idea is how trends start, reach a tipping point, and then spill everywhere and spread like wildfire. The best recent example is Cell phones. There was a point where everyone had to have one. It's loaded with sociological and psycholigical maxims. I really like it. Here are some nuggets I'd like to share:
1) Phone numbers are 7 digits because that's the largest number you have the least trouble memorizing.
2) Teen smokers overestimate the adverse health effects of smoking when polled, yet continue to do it. Why? The cool kids do. Seriously, there's a whole chapter on how cool people tend to smoke. I never have even tried. I guess that makes me an unbelievable square.
...Much of my attention lately has been devoted to the holiday season. Largely because it will be my daughter's first EVERYTHING. My biggest obstacles, though, are what to get her, and what to get my wife. It's not usually difficult to shop for my wife, but I've had some mild failures in the gift department of late, and don't want to screw it up. The other thing I'm working on is a reduced budget.
Miette shouldn't be too hard. Something cute that she can also chew on. The tougher thing will be a gift "from" her to my wife.
Speaking of shopping, I quite accidentally stumbled on this site that specializes in scooping the ads for Black Friday, the shopping day after thanksgiving. It seems exclusively for the set that show up at 5 am that day looking for bargains. I may have to get out and bust some doors this year...
And with that frame of reference...
Back to the insipidity!
Sorry no updates for a while, loyal readers (both of you), but I have allergies that made themselves into a cold. So me, my daughter, and my wife are all snotnoses. Since Miette can't blow her nose, We have to pull the snot out with a suction bulb. She LOVES that. Nothing gets her screaming faster.
The upside is that she's been "talking" a lot lately, babbling mostly, but my favorite babble that she does goes, "Da-Da-Da-Da". Won't be long now...
I'm taking a break from reading wrestling biographies, and I'm reading the Tipping Point about what makes an epidemic. Mostly it's about harnessing the power of epidemics for marketing. However, there's lots in it about trendsetting and the power of cool. It's pretty interesting stuff. The idea is how trends start, reach a tipping point, and then spill everywhere and spread like wildfire. The best recent example is Cell phones. There was a point where everyone had to have one. It's loaded with sociological and psycholigical maxims. I really like it. Here are some nuggets I'd like to share:
1) Phone numbers are 7 digits because that's the largest number you have the least trouble memorizing.
2) Teen smokers overestimate the adverse health effects of smoking when polled, yet continue to do it. Why? The cool kids do. Seriously, there's a whole chapter on how cool people tend to smoke. I never have even tried. I guess that makes me an unbelievable square.
...Much of my attention lately has been devoted to the holiday season. Largely because it will be my daughter's first EVERYTHING. My biggest obstacles, though, are what to get her, and what to get my wife. It's not usually difficult to shop for my wife, but I've had some mild failures in the gift department of late, and don't want to screw it up. The other thing I'm working on is a reduced budget.
Miette shouldn't be too hard. Something cute that she can also chew on. The tougher thing will be a gift "from" her to my wife.
Speaking of shopping, I quite accidentally stumbled on this site that specializes in scooping the ads for Black Friday, the shopping day after thanksgiving. It seems exclusively for the set that show up at 5 am that day looking for bargains. I may have to get out and bust some doors this year...



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home